Welcome to GSPCI’s Foundations of Field Training Sessions. This is our twelfth year of offering these training sessions to our members. Our team of instructors include handlers, trainers, breeders and AKC and NAVHDA judges. They provide decades of experience training pointing dogs for field, conformation and obedience events.
- Venue: Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife Area (Area to be determined due to grounds repair)
- Field Sessions – Sunday, June 24
- Mock Hunt Test – Saturday, August 4
- Time: 8:30 AM
- Registration: Advance-registration for each session is required
The sessions are open to current GSPCI members only. There is no registration fee, just a donation to help cover the cost of birds.
Foundations of Field Training Sessions will be held at Des Plaines Conservation Area. The sessions will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. Based on the levels of the participants, there may be a second group starting a little later in the morning. Directions to the Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife Area (Available on the GSPCI website)
The goal of these sessions is to help everyone have fun in the field and improve their skills as a handler. Whether you are a novice or an experienced handler, have a new dog or old dog, FFT is for you!
These sessions are designed to help you to better train your dogs.
Sessions will include
- General Field obedience
- Introduction to birds
- Introduction to gunfire
- Training table drills
- Steadiness on point
- Proper use of training equipment for the field
- Handling tips
- Proper use of e-collars And lots more!
All sessions will be held regardless of weather. Please be prepared to care for your dog and yourselves. Please plan to arrive early to set up. A training kit consisting of a command lead, 20’ check cord and 1” leather collar is available for a special price at www.dogsunlimited.com. Search or ask for the GSPCI training kit.
Blaze orange hats and vests/shirts are required for everyone entering the field.
Recommended supplies for training sessions
- Command lead and/or 6’ lead
- 10 – 20’ check cord (required for field work)
- Stake-out or crate (with shade). A chain gang will also be available for use
- Water for you and your dog for the parking lot and in the field
- Tick and mosquito repellant
- 1” solid leather training collar and e-collar (if you use one)
- Starter’s pistol (if you have one)
- Cotton gloves for handling birds and working the check cord
- Long pants and boots for field work
- Eye protection or sunglasses for field work